The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) has introduced a practical guidebook which provides guidance and support to FIA stakeholders and members to increase their sustainability performance in delivering events.
The “FIA Introductory Guide for Sustainable Events” has been designed to provide event organisers with the technical support and guidance to identify simple and clear actions for improving their sustainability performance. The focus is on small actions that can lead to significant changes allowing for a practical approach that can be applied to events of all sizes.
The guidelines are also in close alignment with the requirements of the FIA’s Environmental Accreditation Programme.
The application of the guidelines is meant to lead the user to achieve a two-star level, the second of a three-tiered accreditation system.The guidelines are structured around six key impact areas:
- Energy use. Including identifying the sources, measuring use and targeting.
- Air Quality & Transport. Commonly considered the main source of emissions, the attention is centered on reductions and efficiency.
- Waste Management. Focusing on reducing, reusing and recycle in order to build a successful waste management plan.
- Water & Biodiversity. Providing access to fresh drinking water to participants and preventing any potential harm or disruption to natural habitats while protecting and educating on its importance.
- Supply Chain. By recognising the power over the supply chain, organisers can align with suppliers and sponsors that follow the sustainable vision of the event.
- Social Responsibility. Driving social and economic benefit to local and regional communities, involving its people, businesses and authorities.
- The creation of guidelines for sustainable events can serve both externally and internally, guiding the organisation of all types of events in a more sustainable way.
- Having a guide for sustainable events can serve as an entry point for more advanced programs, such as the FIA Accreditation programme, driving both awareness and practical action points.
- FIA can share the environmental awareness in a user-friendly way which helps the FIA to fulfil its required goals and environmental targets.
Click here to download the case study